You wonder how they do it? What’s up with people who always seem to stay fit and look great. What’s their secret? If you’re one of those people who only exercises to fit into a new dress or for special occasions, perhaps your wedding or your sister’s wedding. All that only to go back to your regular routine of unhealthy foods, and no exercise, you’re going to feel poorly in the long run. Don’t just be a yo-yo dieter for the rest of your life.
We can turn that ship around and go in a new direction. Fitness is a lifestyle not an exercise in vanity. People often overlook the simplicity of adopting healthy lifestyle habits that support a slim waist and healthy weight. While different strategies work for different people, scientific evidence indicates individuals who effectively maintain a lean shape over time stick to similar eating and activity habits .
14 Healthy Habits of Fit People
1. Eat a smart breakfast. People who start their day off with breakfast have a reduced risks of weight gain.
2. Be Consistent with physical activity and exercise. No one is expecting you to do a 10k run everyday. But do something. Make exercise a daily habit even if you only have 20 minutes. 20 minutes at the gym is better than no time at all. You will feel better afterward. If you cannot make it to the gym take a walk. This is especially important for people who have desk jobs. If you get up and go to your desk job and sit there all day without physical activity, what do you think is happening? I’ll tell you, your calories are going to settle in your problem areas as fat.
3. Listen to internal hunger cues. External cues such as social pressures or environment strongly influence when and how people eat. It’s called emotional eating. The next time you “feel” like eating ask yourself, “Am I eating because I’m hungry or eating out of an emotional response?” Example: Your boyfriend just broke up with you and you “comfort” by eating? Individuals with lean shapes are generally good at ignoring the convenience factor and base eating decisions on whether they are hungry or not.
4. Avoid skipping meals. You think, I’ll skip a few meals and lose some weight. Wrong! The thing to do is eat smaller meals 4 to 5 times a day. This was the advice of my doctor when I told her that I didn’t want to do the 3 big meals a day any more but still wanted to feel full. Consuming healthy food choices with smaller portions is the better way to go.
5. Eat most meals from home. Food in restaurants, especially fast foods, are high in saturated fats, and salts. Avoid processed foods wherever possible. A moment on the lips a lifetime on the hips.
6. Vegetables provide a variety nutrients the body needs with very few calories. This makes them a key component to maintaining healthy weight. Salad, broccoli, mixed vegetables, corn, kale, etc…
7. Workout at home if you can’t get to the gym. There are tons of videos online of home calisthenics workouts. Done consistently they are very effective.
8. When you workout consistently you have some wiggle room in your diet. For instance, I’ve been working out consistently for about 6 months. I had not had any red meat for a few months. So I was able to enjoy the holiday and treat myself to hamburgers and hot dogs, and all the rest with little guilt. (no bun), ( I know no fun, but it works) That’s not to say that you can never have anything fattening you like but in moderation. If you want your weight to change you must change your habits.
9. Invest in a fitness tracker. If you’re the type of person motivated by goals, they will really help you walk more. Popular fitness trackers are FITBIT, and Jawbone.
10. Increase your water intake. Okay, who can really do 8 glasses of water a day? Take bottled water to work with you and drink it throughout the day. The increase in water will help you see results quicker and as result clean out your system for a healthier body.
11. Mix up your routine. You can do yoga one day and Pilates the next day. The next day treadmill, whatever works for you. If you have small children some days your physical activity may be running around the park with your kids.
12. Focus on how you want to feel rather than how you want to look. In no time your body will catch up with your mind and you’ll feel great. You’ll look great and as a result boost your confidence.
13. Get a good night’s sleep. A lack of sleep lowers your immune systems and makes you more susceptible to common colds, fighting disease, and slows down healing time. But the more you work out the more you’ll want to sleep, it’s a self perpetuating cycle. If you’re drinking to excess on weeknights, crashing at midnight and trying to make a 7:30 yoga class, you’re not setting yourself up for success.
14. Believe you can do it! Proverbs 23:7, “As a man thinketh so is he.” The worst thing you can do is start with a self defeating attitude. You can do this! Visualize yourself the weight you want to be. Visualize yourself slimmer, toner, healthy, happy and take steps today to start on that journey. A plane exerts the most energy getting off of the ground, but once it has ascended into air it’s smooth sailing. Same thing with a habit. Adopt these habits consistently for yourself for at least 30 days and see how much better you feel. You’ll be able look at guys and think to yourself, “eat your Heart out”!