When it comes to the subject of modest clothing, the first question we should ask ourselves is, “What am I trying to accomplish by what I’m wearing?”
Modesty is a respectable manner of adorning one’s body and carrying oneself, born out of freedom from worldly definition of beauty and worth, and motivated by a hatred of sin and a desire to draw closer to God.
1 Peter 5:5, “Clothe yourselves with dignity.”
1 Peter 3:3, “Your adornment must not be merely external.”
1 Timothy 2:9, “I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing modestly and discreetly as is proper for women claiming Godliness.”
- Modesty is a demeanor of one’s reverence showing respect to one’s self and a regard for others. For example: when your husband or boyfriend tells you to change clothes because what you’re wearing is not appropriate, perhaps you’re showing too much. He’s showing respect toward you. He doesn’t want other guys ogling you while you are with him. You are representing him and vice versa. Also modesty doesn’t mean death to fashion it means making more appropriate choices. You want to be a wife? Start dressing like one. When a woman’s got it all hanging out there she doesn’t have anything that a million other women don’t have but prefer not to show. If you want to stand out you have to be different.
- Modesty is about behavior and attitude not just clothing. The scripture doesn’t say that a woman should not adorn herself it says that her adornment should not be merely outward. It should come from a beautiful and Godly spirit.
- Modesty is not Anti-Fashion. The Bible says a woman’s manner of dress should be respectable. Remember men love mystery. Revel in your mystique.
- Modesty is not being ashamed of your body. Our bodies are a beautiful example of being created in the image of God. It doesn’t take long for a women to realize that no matter what she wears her curves are visible and she is going to attract the notice of men. Choose clothing that complements your body type and are comfortable and let your wardrobe reflect dignity with class as a woman of God.
- We never want to make our young women ashamed of their bodies. Instead teach them about modesty as God teaches us in the Bible.
- Mika Rose is a brand that specifically makes modest stylish clothing for women and has launched a new line for girls.
Verse of the day: