Prayer allows couples to come closer to God through healing, the healing power of God’s Word. And as a result enriching the quality of marriage and family life. Recently couple prayer has been the topic of increasing research. They’ve identified prayer as an important element in successful marriages and families. Many married couples who have relied on prayer in addressing marital problems report that using prayer within a marriage tends to increase their level of satisfaction within the marriage.
Couples report that prayer left a constant impression upon their thoughts and actions throughout the day making their interaction more positive. Also found was participation in religious activities including prayer decreases marital conflict, verbal aggression, and stalemate strategies when resolving conflicts. Drawing closer to Him draws you closer to each other. Mathew 18:19 If two or more come together in prayer anything they ask will be done for them.
- Couples draw closer to God when a relationship with God is established first and the two become one through prayer. You and your spouse become deeply connected spiritually, drawing closer to God draws you closer to each other. Prayer invites the power and the presence of the Holy Spirit. Proverbs 23:3 “by wisdom a house is built and through understanding it is established”
- The benefits of health, studies have shown that prayer helps people relax, increases brain activity and improves heartbeat rate, prayer promotes good health. Proverbs 4:22 “They are life to those who find them and health to one’s whole body”
- Angry feeling are softened as couples draw nearer to God and pray feelings are softened. Prayer has a calming effect. It soothes emotions and helps spouses to relate more positively and look for rational, reasonable solutions with the main goal being “How can we work this out?” as oppose to blame. Proverbs 15:1 “A soft answer turns away wrath.”
- Encourages unity, humbling yourselves before God leaning on Him and not to your own understanding but as children still learning and growing and being led by the Spirit. 1 peter 5:6 “Humble yourself under the mighty hand of God and he will exalt you..”
- Promotes emotional intimacy, physical unity and spiritual unity. These are the ties that bind and are not easily broken. John 15:7 “Abide in me and I in you shall ask what you will and it will be done.”
Verse of the day: