So many people’s problems are rooted in their way of thinking. Which can actually produce a lot of the problems they experience. There is a direct connection between our thoughts, the words we speak, and our behavior. However we are concentrating on the mind today. A negative mind produces negative words and consequently a negative life.
Our words actually become traps that cause us to continue a cycle of negative thoughts and actions. We’re all tempted at one time or another to speak negatively. But we do not have to give into those temptations but it takes work! It takes work and by that I mean continual practice to get control of your spirit and let it override the flesh. Negative thoughts and negative thinking makes you an extremely sour and negative person that’s not going to attract much good in their life. To turn our words around we need to start thinking about what we’re thinking about and then make some real changes.
5 Ways to Change your Thinking
- Replace a negative report with a positive one. You may ask is it as simple as that? It is, if done on a continual basis until you form the habit of positive thinking. For example; you have a family member in the hospital and your distraught because you fear the worst, well they could recover and become better than ever. Don’t ever count God out you never know what He’s going to do or how he will bless you.
- Be open to new ideas. There’s a whole world of positive opportunities and possibilities out there if you would just allow yourself to focus on them. I don’t care that your situation looks bad right now as a Christian we walk by faith not by sight.
- Fill your mind with the gift of controlled and conscious thought. If you can experience pain, anxiety, and anger through your thoughts you can conversely experience, joy, happiness and love through your thoughts. You’re focusing on the wrong things. The Bible tells us what to think on Philippians 4:8, “Whatsoever is of good report, praiseworthy, noble, admirable, lovely, think on these things.” Pause and think before you speak. Now that you have become aware of your thoughts, get control of your mouth.
- Pause for a minute and think about what you’re going to say or maybe the best way to say what you want to say. Pray to God to help you to open your mouth with wisdom when you speak. Proverbs 31:26, “She opens her mouth with wisdom.” I prayed that same prayer a couple of weeks ago.
- Be patient with yourself. We have to choose to think and speak positively. It doesn’t happen naturally or overnight. It actually takes a lot of practice and some days will be better than others. Just get back up dust yourself off and start again.