We love and celebrate Moms here at Smart Christian Woman, and want them all to be happy, healthy, fit moms to live as long as possible for their families. Every Woman needs to exercise to maintain her health and fitness most especially moms. You have the whole family pulling on you. The kids are in constant demand of your time attention and efforts. You cope with doctors appointments, school appointments, children’s sports, birthday parties, running after the little ones, being stressed out and having to straighten out the older ones.
Then there are the needs of your husband, and the demands of running a household. Sheesh, I’m tired already. There has to be an outlet of relief for you. If a hot water tank has a relief valve, then how much more does a mom need a relief? That valve is put in place to relieve the pressure of the water tank so that it doesn’t explode. I know its hard , who has the time, but we are going to throw out our excuse book today and get fit.
In my quest to get fit this summer, so far I’ve lost 4 1/2 pounds and I feel great! My man says he likes what he sees and that’s all the motivation I need! Granted some of us have more weight to lose than others but this is not about being thin, its about being healthy and making sure you maintain a good weight in accordance with your body type and shape. The more excess weight you have the more your heart has to work and if it is overworked the result will be a heart attack.
You have a family, you have too much to loose. I thought Maria Kang above was a great example of a fit mom with kids! You know those little cutie pies have her running all around the house, probably just going to the bathroom seems like a vacation. Yet she still makes time whether it’s during their nap time, or at night at their bedtime, she’s making the effort.
No ones asking you to be a fitness guru. Start small, and build up. Remember success comes from a series of small efforts done everyday. If you’re a new mom getting in shape will help you to regain your sense of control over your body and your life. For experienced moms exercise can provide an outlet from ongoing pressures of parenthood, and becomes your normal, something you do for yourself. Exercise is linked to cancer, and diabetes prevention, improved mood and increased energy. Here are a few tips to help you get started!
- Start small, work your way up, and switch it up. For instance you may start out by walking, once you build your endurance you might try jogging. You don’t have to follow a set program unless you want to. I don’t. What I mean by that is I started out walking around my neighborhood. Sometimes I would swim, even though I had a full gym at home. (never used it) I probably shouldn’t tell you that but its true. Then I thought I needed to step it up so I started using the elliptical machine, it was hard starting out but I’m off and running now. I started with 5 to 10 min then I worked my way up to 25 min to half hour. Some days I’d swim and do the machine. Some days I don’t use the machine at all, I do leg lifts in my bed room. I like them because it hits my target areas hips thighs, legs, and butt. So switching it up a bit will help to not make exercising so rigid, instead do what works for you. By all means get moving doing something.
- Take the kids with you, use them as weights to lift and tighten your arms if they are small if they are 5 and above they can keep you company.
- Find a fitness buddy who is also a mom and has the same struggles as you. Make it a play date, in this case play date/exercise date. She can come over to your house or you can take the kids and go to hers. Plus that will be a way for you to have conversation with another adult.
- Set goals. For instance in 3 months I’d like to loose 20 pounds.
- Keep it fun – use music
- If you feel that you’re too far gone and can afford it get a personal trainer.
- It’s not over when you loose the weight, its just beginning and now you must make this a lifestyle, your new normal unless you want to keep going round and round the mountain of loose weight gain weight, loose weight, gain even more weight. One day at a time.
- Do not forget your diet because it is in conjunction with your exercise that will bring you the most results. For instance, I used to think that I needed a 3 course meal in order to feel full. Now my diet goes something like this. I used to have pancakes, eggs, and bacon, for breakfast. Now I do cereal, fruit, yogurt and juice. Lunchtime I used to do fast food i.e. burger, fries, etc.. Now most days for lunch I have a large chicken Cesar salad, and a sensible dinner. Last night for dinner I made baked chicken, fresh corn, and rice with gravy for my husband and my son.
I had the baked chicken the corn and made myself a side salad. After eating like this months now my stomach has caught on and it has shrunk. My man wanted to treat me to breakfast out. I ordered a 2+2+2. (2 pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 sausage) I thought this is the weekend he’s taking me out for breakfast splurge a little. I realized my stomach had shrunk. I’ve never been unable to finish pancakes. Victory!!!
We have 3 great moms who are taking the fitness challenge.
1. Ann Hegan 33 in Montreal canada son Elliott 5 months old.She says during her pregnancy she did not exercise and made bad food choices to her horror she had gained 66 pounds. Today she works out on an elliptical trainer and does pilates and has lost 21 pounds!
2. susan Motte age 40 in Seattle Washington 2 sons Zach 8 and Gabe 5. After her children were born she was consistently 10 to 15 overweight and didn’t feel good. she did a 5k run, next she did a10k run and six months later was able to run half a marathon at 13.1 miles. Now running is a part of her life.
3Kira dickson age 28 Baltimore Maryland son tyler 11 months. kira is a high school soccer and lacrosse coach. A committed athlete Kira was eager to workout quickly after giving birth and started doing stroller walks with the baby to the park . tyler enjoys the fresh air and Kira enjoys the fellowship with other moms in the park. start where you are.